Role: Strategic Estates and Health & Safety Manager
Location: Leek Wootton, Warwickshire
Salary: Up to £59,905 + attractive public sector benefits package
Sector: Public Sector
Carriera is excited to partner with Warwickshire Police who require a Strategic Estates and H&S Manager to join the team and oversee a portfolio of freehold and leasehold properties across Warwickshire.
This is a unique opportunity within the organisation to oversee a varied portfolio of buildings and properties, the successful candidate will manage the Warwickshire Police HQ (Grade 1 listed building, two justice centres, various police stations across the county, and smaller police outposts dotted around Warwickshire.
Our client has a 10 years strategic plan which the manager will implement and be the driving force behind whilst also overseeing aspects of H&S across the buildings under their remit. Previous managerial experience is required as you will be responsible for a team of 10 direct reports (HSEQ Advisors, Facility Managers and Project Managers) along with external contractors.
- Define, maintain and deliver the rolling 5-10 year Health and Safety, Quality, Environmental, Security and estates asset management strategies through the appraisal of legislation, market intelligence and risk-based triage of stock condition surveys.
- Provide ongoing updates and deliver presentations regarding progress against the rolling strategic 5-10 year HSQE and estates plans, as well as relevant operational HSQE and facilities matters, to the Head of Business Operations as well as wider senior stakeholders when required
- Ensure value for money via long-term financial planning to deliver prioritised improvements to the estate across the entire HSQE and estates portfolio within the available budgets while identifying future cost savings opportunities, and whilst ensuring in year available capital is fully utilised.
- Work collaboratively with Business Operations team members, OPCC, external partners and other senior stakeholders to review the effectiveness of HSQE and estates related strategies and approaches, as well as identify cost savings and efficiency gains across the property portfolio.
- Establish strong, effective and collaborative working relationships with senior internal and external stakeholders, team members and external providers to ensure ongoing estates management, facilities management and HSQE related activities are delivered successfully across the OPCC estate.
- Set strategic direction and provide expert oversight over the estates project management team on material capital projects, including building surveys, planning permission, tender documentation, contract management, cost control, risk management and liaison with external consultants, contractors, architects, and Central / Local Authorities.
- Set strategic direction and provide expert oversight over the estates project management team on all planning activities including the construction of new facilities, extensions, refurbishments, and other changes to existing facilities.
- Set strategic direction and provide expert oversight over the HSQE and facilities management team on operational HSQE and facilities matters ensuring we continue to provide a workplace that remains fit for purpose, and in line with modern workplace expectations.
- When appropriate, negotiate contracts and drive costs down to ensure value for money and provide effective supply chain management.
- Take accountability for overall capital and revenue related estates projects/ facilities management budgets.
- Work with Contracts and Procurement team identify, shortlist and award work based on appropriate statement of works and requirements, balancing both price and quality to ensure optimal outcome.
- Proactively and strategically communicate with all stakeholders on the full life cycle of each project, with an awareness of the PCC as the owner of the estate.
- Regularly review the HSQE and Estates delivery model, and develop the team’s capacity, knowledge and skill set to align.
- Ensure full compliance with all public sector legislation and regulatory requirements, as well as develop HSQE and estates approaches so that we may seek to achieve relevant ISO accreditation.
- Identify risks and implement mitigations across all areas of responsibility, as well as communicate this to senior stakeholders when required.
- Estates Management experience within the public sector.
- Experience of managing a varied portfolio of buildings and properties.
- Managerial experience.
- Degree educated within a technical construction discipline e.g. engineering, surveying (desirable but not essential).
- H&S experience and relevant H&S qualification e.g NEBOSH.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Competitive salary up to £59,905 (Annual pay reviews).
- 37 hour working week – Monday to Friday.
- Attractive pension scheme: 6.8% employee and 19.2% employer contribution.
- 28 days annual leave which increases with time served + bank holidays.
- Big emphasis on work life balance.
- Sick pay.
If you are interested in the role please contact Mike Davis on 07947 648 308 for further information.